Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc. provider flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our component’s business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
SENIOR TEST ENGINEER
SolAero is seeking an exceptional engineer to support the manufacturing and testing of advanced space solar cell products. This engineer will work in a clean room production environment to develop processes, upgrade/maintain equipment, and develop techniques to aid the manufacturing and testing of cutting-edge solar cell products.
SolAero Technologies Corp. has an immediate need for a Manufacturing Test Engineer to assist on a full-time basis.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Daily monitoring of test data and work with other engineering teams to ensure a high-quality product is being produced.
- Help to develop process controls around the test area to ensure high-quality testing.
- Develop a basic understanding of the design, construction, manufacturing methods and operating principles of series interconnected multi-junction solar cells.
- Develop a basic understanding of how external variables such as temperature, illumination intensity, illumination uniformity, and spectral characteristics influence the operation and performance of multi-junction solar cells.
- Develop a basic understanding of semiconductor bandgaps, their influence on light absorption, light emission, photogenerated current production, and voltage production in solar cells.
- Develop both a basic theoretical and practical working knowledge of the entire suite of test equipment used to characterize and rate the performance of multi-junction solar cells, including quantum efficiency, illuminated current-voltage, dark current-voltage, electroluminescence, UV/VIS absorptance/reflectance, etc.
- Identify the important parameters that can be extracted from an IV curve such as short circuit current, open circuit voltage, fill factor, shunt resistance, series resistance, ideality factor, and the phenomena that are responsible for variability in the above parameters.
- Combine the understanding described above to help define the problem or need, help to identify the correct measurement method or tool to address the need, efficient and correct use of the measurement tool, and basic analysis of the data.
- Combine the understanding described above to assess current testing capability and help to improve new test equipment or modifying/implementing new testing procedures.
- Use analysis tools such as Excel, JMP and presentation tools such as Word and PowerPoint to present measurement results and basic analysis, in a clear manner, to others.
- Occasional off-hour support is needed to ensure manufacturing quality and throughput.
- Effectively train technicians on the proper use of equipment, and support their work with proper guidance, expertise and help.
- Document procedures and write work instructions to ensure the proper execution of developed procedures.
- Develop collaborative working relationships with technicians and engineers. Work with technicians and engineers to coordinate and prioritize the workload
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- BS+2 years’ experience, in test engineering, electrical engineer, physics, or an equivalent technical background. Advanced degrees can be used as substitution for experience.
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience with solar cell device testing is advantageous.
- Training in semiconductor device theory is advantageous.
- Experience with LabView is advantageous.
- Attention to detail and careful application of engineering rigor are essential
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.