Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Rocket Lab USA is seeking an experienced payload integration engineer with previous launch vehicle or spacecraft integration experience. This role will work under the direction of a Principal Payload Integration Engineer and will report to the Director of Mission Management and Integration. The candidate must have demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: spacecraft or launch vehicle integration, systems engineering, and/or electrical/mechanical systems.
The proper candidate will interface with spacecraft customer integration teams and direct and perform tasks associated with the physical spacecraft integration to the Electron launch vehicle. This role requires a candidate who works well with a multidisciplinary team and can hold their own when presented with technical challenges in front of both internal and external customers. The position is based in Long Beach, CA USA at Rocket Lab USA HQ, but requires frequent travel to customers and launch sites worldwide.
What you'll get to do:
- Performs hands-on payload integration activities, including fit checks, dispenser, and launch vehicle integration
- Assists management in on-site integration planning and performance of daily coordination meetings during launch site integration periods.
- Provides inputs for development and verification of Launch Vehicle to Spacecraft Interface Control Documentation (ICD)
- Ability to create and execute assembly integration instructions
- Provide customer support to answer questions with internal technical staff as required
- Remain in constant contact with engineering staff regarding mechanical and electrical design needs based on mission requirements for the spacecraft integration.
You'll bring these qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or technical discipline – Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace degree preferred + 2-3 years or more of applicable experience
- Previous launch vehicle or space hardware integration experience
- Demonstrated ability to understand technical constraints relative to payload integration
- Ability to travel to launch sites and customer sites including overseas (New Zealand and others)
These Qualifications would be nice to have:
- ITAR – knowledge of ITAR requirements and importance of TAA's
- Experience with CubeSats, SmallSats, or other small space payloads
- Ability to read mechanical and electrical drawings
- Ability to perform electrical and mechanical testing
- US Government security clearance Secret or TS/SCI
- Solid interpersonal and organizational skills
- Solid presentation and technical writing skills
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Base Pay Range (CA Only)
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.