Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
Ground Software Engineer, Senior
Based out of Rocket Lab’s global headquarters in Long Beach, the Ground Software Engineer, Senior is responsible for developing cutting-edge spacecraft ground software for our various Space Systems missions, and for providing ground system development and support for internal and external customers. You will support the Space Systems organization, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
• Develop and evolve web-based software architecture for spacecraft operations
• Work closely with flight software developers, operations personnel, and systems engineers to understand requirements and functional needs
• Deploy and configure the Rocket Lab Ground Data System
• Establish monitoring and alerting to detect system degradation and outages
• Identify ground systems issues and provide technical insight for resolution
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS (Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical discipline
• 5+ years of software development experience
• Experience architecting web-based software applications
• Expertise in CCSDS recommended standards including Space Packet Protocol and COP-1
• Experience in the aerospace industry
• 5+ years developing in Python
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
• Full-stack software development experience, including:
○ Backend – Python and/or Golang
○ Database – InfluxDB, PostgreSQL, or equivalent
• Experience with Python web experience (FastAPI or equivalent)
• Experience with micro-service architectures
• Experience leading complete system development efforts with a team
• Ability to write clear, well-tested, and well-documented software
• Experience supporting satellite, spacecraft, constellation, and/or launch vehicle mission operations
• Familiarity with database design and implementation
• Experience using Git or other version control systems
• Experience with SQL
• Experience with ticketing systems like Jira, etc.
• Experience with Kubernetes orchestration
• Experience with Oauth authentication flows
• Experience in full-stack and/or web development (NodeJS, Angular, TypeScript, or equivalent)
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the California Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Base Pay Range (CA Only)
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations fromthe U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.