Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Our Payload Group is looking for a Camera Electronics Engineer to help us operate, optimize, and further develop the largest camera constellation ever deployed in space! We are responsible for system-level analysis, operations, simulations and development for our earth observation payload. Our team works at the intersection of hardware, software, and product engineering teams in the Mission Operations group. The role will appeal to candidates that enjoy the interchange between photography, science, systems engineering, and operations.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Collaborate with electrical engineers to integrate camera electronics into the spacecraft, including assisting in FPGA interface and processing requirements and troubleshooting.
- Testing and troubleshooting camera firmware releases from vendors in the lab and on-orbit
- Collaborating with cross functional engineering teams on schematics, PCB design and camera communication protocol standards
- Geometric, spectral, and radiometric characterization of new sensors in the lab
- Developing lab and space-borne camera calibration automation methods
- Developing and validating camera performance and payload performance metrics
- Troubleshooting camera image quality issues and developing long-term mitigations and improvements
- Contributing to the design and modeling of new imaging systems and operating modes
- Collaborating with satellite operations, imaging pipeline, hardware (optics/EE), and embedded software teams
What You Bring:
- Deep understanding of electrical engineering principles and camera systems including detectors and ROICs and associated processing techniques
- Deep familiarity with camera vendors and standards
- Excellent lab/instrumentation experience, including test automation
- Experience with various sensor and EE bus interfaces: MIPI, CCP2, USB, parallel, I2C and SPI
- 5+ years relevant experience in board level circuit debugging instrumentation and test development
- Experience leveraging scientific MATLAB, Python, Verilog/System Verilog and/or C/C++ in a Unix/Linux/AWS environment to develop and automate novel imaging algorithms
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively
- Solid graduate-level Statistics, Linear Algebra and Physics foundation
- BS/MS in an EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
- A passion for photography, earth sciences, and geography
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Focal Plane Array integration and test
- Experience with FPGA-based systems and assisting in Verilog design
- 5+ years GIS/Remote Sensing/Mapping work experience
- Solid Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Dynamical Systems foundation
- PhD in EE, CS, AA or relevant scientific/engineering field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $162,600 - $203,300. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.