Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is seeking an entrepreneurial Data Scientist to join our Data team. The team is responsible for bringing best-in-class data products to Planeteers as we look to achieve our North Star over the next decade and enable every Planeteer to measure the impact of their work towards our triple-bottom-line (planet, people, profit). This key contributor will play a critical role in shaping the team’s technical direction to guide Planet’s product, technology, and business teams. Core responsibilities will be focused on data mining, metric development, causal inference, and delivering quantitative insights to influence product & business strategy.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Drive the full data science lifecycle–from exploratory data mining, problem definition, experimental design and instrumentation to data conditioning, analysis, and storytelling–uncovering actionable insights on Planet’s customers, products, and platform in terabytes of data
- Partner with cross-functional teams worldwide from Product, Engineering, and Design using data to better understand and optimize the customer experience
- Catalyze innovation by translating business requirements into data products (e.g. automated KPI reporting, customer segmentation analyses, dynamic pricing models) that play a critical role in helping us build our Earth Data Platform
What You Bring:
- 2-3+ years of experience in data science supporting commercial or government software products
- Excellent skills in problem formulation, metrics definition, ETL/ELT pipelines, statistical methods, and data visualization
- Development background using Python, SQL, DBT, Git, and cloud-based platforms, like Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services, to store and analyze data
- Passion for Planet’s mission to use space to help life on Earth
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience refactoring large (> TB), disparate, poor-quality datasets
- Background writing production code or MLOps
- Domain expertise in remote sensing, geospatial information systems, or product analytics
- Professional examples where you used data to influence business decisions that generated customer value
- History with world-class data teams working in a fast-paced, customer-centric culture
- Demonstrated success collaborating across global time zones in a hybrid work environment
- Proven record of problem solving and overcoming ambiguity with minimal direction
- Ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
- Desire to learn quickly
- Curiosity, creativity, and collegiality!
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Additional company winter holidays and regular global days off
- Remote friendly work environment and flexible working hours
- Contribution to our growth by offering equity options for employees
- Giving back to the community - one day per quarter for charitable work
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Regular hack-weeks and meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Home office budget
- Employee Resource Groups providing empowering spaces for connection and mentorship
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.