Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for an Engineering Manager with a proven background in hiring, mentoring, and leading high-functioning engineering teams.
In this role, you will lead the engineering team that owns large scale compute processing systems that supports imagery transformation and delivery. These systems are primarily responsible for backing external customer access to the continuous feed of imagery we receive from the satellites. Our infrastructure services span thousands of nodes and process terabytes of imagery data every day. You will ensure our infrastructure is highly reliable, secure, and scalable, and meets internal stakeholder needs.
This is very much a “servant leadership” role, with a high emphasis on enabling your team members to do their best work in an environment that sets them up for success. In particular, you’ll ensure engineers are unblocked on dependencies, take the lead in defining the “what” and “why” of the team’s work, and organize that work in a way that best aligns with organizational and team practices.
As part of the Infrastructure leadership team, you will work with your team and peers to build and execute a strategy that enables Planet’s mission with our core shared compute infrastructure built on Kubernetes and GCP. This will include things like capacity planning, scalability, observability, and orchestration with tools such as Kubernetes and CI/CD tooling. You will also support internal customers that run image processing and delivery operations on our compute services.
This role is deeply cross-functional, and building positive relationships across Product, Software Engineering, and Space Systems will be crucial to your success.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Collaborate across the engineering organization to align efforts, keep engineers unblocked, and ensure delivery of services/features/products
- Foster a culture of innovation and customer service within the team and the organization you support
- Evangelize the set of services your team owns across the engineering organizations in order to drive adoption of the architecture where required
- Ensure that the team is utilizing best practices for software development, testing, and deployment
- Contribute to the evolution of a computing infrastructure strategy that aligns with and supports Planet’s North Star and product strategy
- Own team roadmap strategy and execution against the roadmap priorities
What You Bring:
- Ability to build, retain, and grow diverse, geographically dispersed, high-performing teams
- Experience with managing teams that own and operate high-volume, highly available, scalable, distributed systems
- Experience building infrastructure/tooling at scale that gains widespread adoption
- Experience with growing team members through career development coaching, technical or non-technical mentoring, and creating an open and healthy team culture
- Proven asynchronous communication skills and ability to collaborate cross-functionally with partner Engineering and Product teams
- Experience working with various Agile methodologies and project management frameworks
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Deep experience leading a team that specializes in large scale computing systems
- Experience in geospatial or satellite imagery domains
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
The US base salary range for this full-time position at the commencement of employment is $124,000 - $203,000. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary short-term and long-term incentives (bonus and equity). The final salary range is determined by job related experience, skills and location. The range displays our typical hiring range for new hire salaries in US locations only. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.