Karius is a venture-backed life science startup that is transforming the way pathogens and other microbes are observed throughout the body. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we're helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, providing industry partners with access to 1000’s of biomarkers to accelerate clinical trials, discovering new microbes, and reducing patient suffering worldwide.
We are looking for an outstanding Medical Science Liaison (MSL) to join us as we expand our field footprint and support the commercial team in achieving sales goals, thereby enabling our customers to fully utilize the clinical potential of the Karius cell-free microbial DNA infectious disease diagnostic test. This will involve working directly with the clinical sales managers to develop pre and post-sale strategies to bolster sales with new and existing customers. The MSL educates clinicians, nursing, pharmacy staff and other clinical support staff on the benefits and clinical utility of our products. You will assist facilities in developing best practices and protocols to maximize our products’ utility; form relationships with clinicians to develop clinical champions and future key opinion leaders and provide education to the sales force. You will garner best practices and protocols from customers, assist with implementing our products in their facilities, and support the development of clinician focused marketing tools and education programs.
Why Should You Join Us?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: Director, Medical Science Liaison
Territory: Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and Nevada
• Provide expertise necessary to achieve the clinical close portion of the sale working with the Clinical Sales Manager.
• Provide medical expertise to support sales and marketing activities.
• Review promotional materials to ensure accuracy of medical and scientific content.
• Provide formal presentations as well as informal training (i.e. Grand Rounds, ASP meetings, round table discussions) utilizing peer reviewed publications, clinical case studies and approved marketing materials.
• Facilitate intradepartmental communication to maximize patient solutions within institutions.
• Establish centers of excellence as a benchmark for other customer sites to model.
• Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key opinion leaders, through professional associations, professional meetings and conferences; apply KOL input and feedback to sales and marketing activities.
• Maintain clinical and specialty expertise and provide input by attending business team meetings, steering committee meetings, etc.
• Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with advisors, consultants, investigators, expert guest speakers and business development partners.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that, comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don't suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel (Local and Regional): Travel required up to 70%.
Subject to extended periods of sitting and/or standing, vision to monitor and moderate noise levels. Work is generally performed in the field which requires the ability to extensively travel.
• 4 year Bachelor Degree in Nursing, Physician Assistant Studies, licensed Pharmacist required.
• Clinical advanced degree preferred (Board certified Nurse Practitioner, Clinical Infectious Disease Pharmacist or an Advanced Public Health Degree with experience in hospital based clinical process implementation and improvement).
• Measurable experience as a clinician or nurse is required.
• Familiarity with infectious disease diagnosis, treatment and/or microbiology/virology methods is required.
• Valid Driver’s License.
• Familiarity with Microsoft office; PowerPoint, Work and Excel, Microsoft Suite and contact management databases i.e Salesforce.
• Knowledge of medical institution hierarchy.
• Sales experience, a plus.
• Knowledge of Laboratory workflow and fiscal operations, a plus.
• Knowledge of cfDNA technology, a plus.
• Has an entrepreneurial spirit and is comfortable multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced, ambiguous, growth-oriented environment.
• Strong presentation acumen, ability to manage and facilitate engaging discussions with both small and large groups.
• Ability to present technical information to audiences with various degrees of scientific and clinical expertise.
• Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, confidentiality and ability to build trusting and professional relationships.
• Passionate about the mission and reputation of Karius while investing in the culture as the company grows.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, an individual's reproductive health decisions, any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.