Karius is a venture-backed life science startup that is transforming the way pathogens and other microbes are observed throughout the body. By unlocking the information present in microbial cell-free DNA, we're helping doctors quickly solve their most challenging cases, providing industry partners with access to the microbial landscape to accelerate biomarker discovery and clinical trials, discover novel microbes, to ultimately reduce patient suffering worldwide.
The Laboratory Assistant (LA) is an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual with great communication skills. Along with the duties described below, this individual performs sample receiving and accessioning, performs routine preventive equipment and instrument maintenance, and assists in the performance of high complexity laboratory testing on patient specimens under the direct supervision of a CLS. The LA must demonstrate a high level of individual responsibility and accountability and possess the ability to perform to the requirements listed below. The LA must be comfortable in a rapidly evolving Biotech start-up environment.
Why Should You Join Us?
Karius aims to conquer infectious diseases through innovations around genomic sequencing and machine learning. The company’s platform is already delivering unprecedented insights into the microbial landscape, providing clinicians with a comprehensive test capable of identifying more than a thousand pathogens directly from blood, and helping industry accelerate the development of therapeutic solutions. The Karius test we provide today is one of the most advanced solutions available to physicians who aim to deliver better care to many otherwise ineffectively treated patients. Our test is the result of some incredible work done by our scientists, statisticians, engineers, and physicians, all driven by the same mission. You, as part of the Karius team, will be able to see how directly your work has a life-changing impact on people, and at scale.
Reports to: Manager, Clinical Laboratory Operations
Location: Redwood City, CA
● Accessions samples upon arrival in accordance with established policies and regulations, escalating issues to Customer Success as necessary.
● Receives, catalogs, and labels shipments of materials and reagents, following established procedures and handling requirements. Also communicates with laboratory staff of critical material/reagent receipt to ensure necessary measures are taken to ensure acceptability. Notifies proper personnel when issues arise.
● Primarily responsible for ensuring the laboratory is resupplied to sufficient levels at established invervals to promote optimal specimen processing.
● Performs appropriate equipment and laboratory cleaning and maintenance according to established policies and scheduling, communicating any observed issues to management.
● Identify process improvement opportunities, communicates them with leadership
● Under the direct supervision of licensed personnel, performs selected specimen preparation, or similar tasks, as determined by Laboratory Management
● Maintain accurate records of work performed
● Create and revise lab SOPs as needed
● Perform other responsibilities as specified by the General Supervisor, Technical Specialist, or Laboratory Director.
What’s Fun About the Job?
Karius is operating at the edge of what is now known to be possible in infectious disease diagnostics. With that comes a wave of new and incredible challenges and opportunities. To deliver on that value, you will be tapping into some of the most advanced technologies, architecting and innovating where the current solutions simply don't suffice. You will get to see how much your work really matters.
Travel: No travel required.
● Hours and days may vary depending on operational needs.
● Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary.
● May be exposed to hazardous materials, blood specimens, and instruments with moving parts, heating or freezing elements, and high speed centrifugation.
● Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary.
● Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) may be necessary.
● High school diploma or its equivalent, as determined by HCFA under CLIA.
● BS in a biological science or similar field of study, preferred.
● 1 year of pertinent industry experience supporting laboratory operations, preferred.
● Ability to proactively communicate in a consistent, clear, and open manner.
● Flexible and adaptive in a frequently-changing environment.
● Ability to work independently and collaboratively with team members.
● Highly goal-driven and have demonstrated the ability to effectively prioritize and focus on time-sensitive objectives.
● Strong sense of creativity and ability to push the boundaries of science.
● Strong problem-solving skills.
● Excellent teamwork and motivation skills are essential.
● Excellent organizational, record-keeping, and communication (verbal and written) skills.
● Strong work ethic to generate high quality work under tight deadlines.
At Karius, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees and are committed to honor and invest in the full diversity of people, in our hiring, recruiting, and development of employees across the Company. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] and we will accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.