Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
What You'll Do
- Design knowledge organization structures (controlled vocabularies, taxonomies, and ontologies) that elegantly conceptualize knowledge across several domains, including agricultural commodities, climate, global trade, and finance.
- Fluently translate natural language and business jargon into precise, complex knowledge representations; synthesize and arbitrate disparate views of a knowledge domain
- Guide the use of knowledge management tools by subject matter experts to ensure accurate domain concept representation and adherence to Gro knowledge organization principles
- Work with subject matter experts to develop graph-based semantic models which capture knowledge about diverse real-world scenarios; identify 3rd-party knowledge organization structures to seamlessly integrate into the Gro knowledge graph wherever practicable
- Constantly explore the existing knowledge graph to ensure the real-world changes are promptly reflected, new facts are added as necessary, and the data quality is maintained
What You Have
- BA or BS in Library Science, Information Science, Computer Science or a related field
- 6+ years of experience in ontology and taxonomy development
- Ability to quickly understand complex processes/systems/domains and communicate them in simple language/terms
- Expert-level proficiency with RDF, OWL, and SPARQL
- Experience with open-source and commercial ontology engineering tools, e.g. Protege, TopBraid, PoolParty
Nice to Have
- Master's degree strongly preferred
- Experience integrating and extending an upper (BFO, DOLCE, UMBEL) or a domain (AGROVOC, ENVO, FIBO) ontology
- Contribution to semantic tech standard, taxonomy, ontology or open source tools; peer-reviewed publications in the Semtech space.
- Proficiency in data analysis (Python, Pandas, SQL), data visualization, semantic modeling, knowledge, and ontology engineering
- Previous experience with the Agriculture, Climate, or Finance domain data
- Experience with collaborative development and version control systems (e.g. git)
The salary range for this role is expected to be $150,000-$185,000. Other compensation for the role includes equity, a generous PTO policy and health, vision & dental insurance.
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.