Gro Intelligence is tackling two of the biggest problems facing the world today: food security and climate change. We understand and quantify the complex interplay between food, weather, trade, agriculture, and macroeconomic conditions in a world upended by climate change, a growing population, and more. The team at Gro has built a platform that allows businesses, non-profits, and governments to better plan for and adapt to these changes. With offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore Gro has the financial backing of prominent investors such as TPG Growth, Intel Capital, Data Collective, and GGV. Gro is a diverse, intellectually curious team of technologists, scientists, and business professionals united by a shared commitment to build AI that addresses agriculture, food, and our climate on the most fundamental level.
What You’ll Do
Below are just some of the challenges and problems we are trying to solve here at Gro. If you can help us with one or more we would love to speak with you - particularly if you’re eager to see your work have a bigger impact on the world
- Evolve how multi-dimensional data is represented, updated, transferred, and served.
- Design and implement a flexible and scalable architecture to effectuate the data lifecycle.
- Work with specialists across multiple fields to continue refining the data platform to meet evolving serving needs and new data sources.
Who You Are
- Someone who loves to learn, is willing to experiment, and remains adaptable.
- Self-motivated to drive projects to completion.
- Someone who is passionate about building, tuning, and scaling systems.
- Open-minded about languages/tools/frameworks, and able to make good decisions about which to use (and when) to solve a particular problem.
- A great team player; someone with a point of view who knows how to humbly express it.
- Experience with data lifecycle design, data integrations, data migrations, data quality, data governance, and restructuring data in complex systems.
- Solid understanding of different data storage technologies (RDBMS, columnar, timeseries, graph, MPP, Parquet, SQLite, etc.).
- 7+ years experience with a combination of data modeling, and database operations.
- 7+ years experience developing scalable data platforms on a terabyte or petabyte scale.
- Ability to create and clearly communicate designs and ideas.
- Experience with enterprise cloud infrastructure and services (we use AWS)
- Strong proficiency in Python (or C, C++ or Rust)
- BS in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
Nice to have
- Experience with Postgres and RDS.
- Experience with NoSQL/Non-traditional databases (e.g. columnar, document, time-series, graph).
- Experience with object stores (S3, Azure Blob Storage, etc).
- Experience with data pipeline technologies such as Kafka, RabbitMQ, Flink, etc.
- Experience with Geospatial or highly pixelated data sets.
- Experience with data sets larger than traditional relational databases can handle.
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, and setting technical direction.
The salary range for this role is expected to be $140,000 - $225,000. Other compensation for the role includes equity, a generous PTO policy and health, vision & dental insurance.
Gro was founded in 2014 and currently has offices in Nairobi, New York, and Singapore. The company was built on diversity and the knowledge that artificial intelligence is only as good as the human intelligence behind it. Gro’s team represents the world it is modeling. At the company, we speak more than 27 languages and we comprise a wide range of experts, from agronomists and crop scientists, to mathematicians, engineers, data scientists, market research analysts, designers, historians, and philosophers. Our culture fosters collaboration between people of extremely different backgrounds that allows us to accomplish things that would otherwise seem impossible.
Gro Intelligence is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.