Due to its remote and hybrid culture, Alation conducts all of its interviewing and onboarding virtually.
Big Data isn’t a problem. It’s an opportunity.
At Alation, we help people find, understand, and trust data. So they not only excel in their work — they drive value for their enterprise, team, and role. In the words of one customer, “Alation makes me look like a rockstar.”
We help companies like Pfizer and Salesforce empower their people with the best data every day. As a platform for innovation, Alation helps customers create game-changing solutions (like a program for early-stage disease detection with Pfizer) and connect people to great data in less time (like Salesforce, whose analysts can now find data 35% faster). And we’re just getting started.
With more than $340M in funding - valued at over $1.7 billion and 450+ customers with household names - Alation is poised to capitalize on data as an opportunity. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, Alation was named to Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces list for the third time, and our exceptional Glassdoor rating (4.7 out of 5!) reflects a culture that makes coming to work each day a joy. Do you want to join a team that welcomes new ideas, supports your growth, and recognizes your unique value?
As a Technical Support Engineer, you will provide frontline technical support to our customers, prospects, and partners; helping them integrate with the Alation platform. You will be responsible for triaging, troubleshooting, and debugging issues, as well as escalating to our advanced support engineering team as appropriate. Your work will be cross-functional and will involve working with engineering, QA, DevOps, product management, sales and customer success.
What you'll be doing:
- Provide technical support to Alation customers, partners, prospects, and other Technical Support Engineers
- Resolve customer issues via our case management tool, email, chat, and/or video conferencing
- Build and utilize complex lab setups to replicate and resolve problems
- Maintain a groomed backlog of cases and ensure that SLAs for Response Time & Resolution Time are consistently met
- Provide accurate and complete support escalations and bug reports
- Facilitate discussions and provide solutions in our Community portal
- Be available for occasional weekend on-call coverage
You should have:
- At least 3-5 years of experience as a support engineer providing enterprise software application support
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technologies, or equivalent experience supporting software components
- High degree of analytical, debugging, and troubleshooting skills in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a strong ability to discuss complex technical topics with customers, engineers, and product managers
- Linux system administration skills
- Working knowledge of relational databases (SQL, Postgres, Oracle)
- Working knowledge of Web servers, such as Apache and Nginx and cluster platforms such as Hadoop and Hive
- Comfort with working in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work on problems of moderate to wide scope and moderate to high complexity where analysis of situations or data requires a review of identifiable factors.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Promotes and solicits ideas within project team(s).
- Ability to handle critical customer issues/problems.
- Able to determine problems and deliver known solutions with a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Ability to determine root cause and resolution for previously unknown problems.
A big plus if you have experience in the following areas:
- Authentication protocols (Kerberos, SAML, LDAP, SSO, SSL certificates)
- Debugging applications written in JAVA and Python
- REST APIs
- Non-relational databases (Elasticsearch, NoSQL, MongoDB, etc)
- Django system administration
- JDBC and ODBC drivers
- BI data sources (Tableau, Microstrategy, etc)
- Cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, GCP
More About Alation
Our founders have come together from different backgrounds: business, engineering, and design. This unique mix from our founding team is important to the Alation culture story. Today, our team consists of creators and communicators with varied backgrounds - from Stanford, to the Indian Institute of Technology, big companies and one-person startups, the United States, and abroad. We continue to seek ever more diverse perspectives as we grow.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, name, religion, color, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Market-Leading Data Catalog Provider
- High-growth, collaborative environment with diverse and inclusive teams
- Continuous learning, enrichment and development opportunities
- Competitive pay and health offerings including commuter benefits
- Flexible time off to relax and recharge
and much, much more!