AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a Research Scientist with a strong background in mammalian cell biology and expertise in reporter and functional assay development to join our dynamic Discovery team. This role offers the exciting opportunity to contribute to therapeutic antibody discovery from natural immune repertoires using cutting-edge technologies, while working in one of Canada’s top tech companies. We are a multidisciplinary team that believes that through teamwork, innovation, and mutual support, together we can solve the biggest challenges in drug discovery. If you’re highly motivated, self-directed, and a team player who thrives in a fast-paced and focused environment, we’d love to hear from you.
How you might spend your days:
- Working with cross-functional teams to develop in vitro assays which are used to assess panels of discovered candidate antibodies across multiple target classes and therapeutic indications
- Progressing the development of our bioassays platforms (such as live cell high content imaging) through the use of new technologies, analysis software, AI and automation
- Designing, planning, and executing experiments as well as advancing experimental workflows, either independently or within cross-functional teams
- Optimizing and troubleshooting in vitro complex functional assays using various mammalian cell lines and primary cells
- Analyzing, interpreting and presenting data to colleagues and key stakeholders
- Training, mentoring and supervising members of a dynamic team
- Organizing, supporting and collaborating with other teams to meet project deliverables and timelines
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are inquisitive by nature and thrive in a collaborative environment
- You enjoy mentoring and bringing out the best in your teammates
- You enjoy developing protocols, SOPs and delivering training
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced work environment and coordinating with your team to juggle multiple competing priorities
- You take pride in being a self-motivated person, fast learner, team player, and creative problem solver
Required qualifications and experience:
- Post-doc or PhD in relevant field, or MSc plus at least 5 years’ work experience in relevant field
- Strong background in designing and running cell-based functional assays. This should include:
- Experience in plate-based cellular functional assays using detection methods such as fluorescence, luminescence, HTRF, imaging, etc.
- Experience in or understanding of medium- to high-throughput assay workflows and miniaturization requirements
- Optional, but desirable: experience with cell imaging, image analysis and automation
- Ability to manage multiple distinct projects across a variety of teams
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment including training and mentoring
- Strong leadership skills
Offers & benefits:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23099 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.