AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of how drugs are discovered with a discovery platform that integrates modern technologies from engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science. We are seeking a highly motivated Research Scientist with a proven record of leadership and achievements in the field of membrane protein R&D to join our Biochemistry group. The successful candidate will have a good understanding of the history and new technological developments in the field, possess strong written and presentation skills, and demonstrate excellent time and data management abilities. The position offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to cutting-edge research on membrane antigen design and stabilization to support the discovery of novel monoclonal antibodies for therapeutic use.
How you might spend your days:
- Providing leadership in the design, planning and execution of experiments in collaboration with your teammates in a fast-paced environment
- Solving high-level problems in biochemistry related to difficult to express membrane and soluble proteins, and strategies for their purification and stabilization
- Training, mentoring and supervising members of a dynamic team
- Communicating with industry and academic partners with project updates and deliverables
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures
- Organizing, supporting and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver who believes in team work to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You are self-motivated and have the initiative and the drive to meet goals under tight project timelines
- You think critically and you are curious about exploring new technologies and developments in the field
- You are excited about the prospect of directing your biochemistry experience to driving therapeutic antibody development
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biochemistry or related field, with at least two years of postdoctoral or industry experience in membrane protein biochemistry, structural biology or biophysics
- Strong knowledge in protein engineering and construct design
- Experience with transient and/or viral based protein expression in mammalian or insect cells is an asset
- Familiarity with screening of membrane protein extraction conditions
- Extensive experience in membrane protein purification methods from small-to-milligram scale, including cell membrane preparation, affinity chromatography and SEC/ion-exchange based FPLC chromatography
- Experience of biophysical techniques for characterization of membrane proteins, including microscale thermophoresis (MST), nano-DSF and SEC-MALS, is an asset
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
What we offer
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23013 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.