AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of how drugs are discovered with a discovery platform that integrates modern technologies from engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science.
We are seeking a highly motivated and team-first oriented Associate Production Scientist to join our Biochemistry team. This individual will play a key role in the purification of a wide variety of protein antigens by meticulously executing detailed protocols in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will have experience in recombinant protein expression and purification such as affinity chromatography and basic mammalian cell culture techniques. Lastly, the ideal candidate is a team-player with a passion for science and is driven by the idea of using science and technology to accelerate the discovery and development of therapeutics that could make a difference for patients. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s most innovative biotech companies and to contribute to our cutting-edge research on antigen design, antibody engineering and molecular research supporting the discovery of novel monoclonal antibodies.
How you might spend your days:
- Planning weekly protein antigen production and antigen QC experiments
- Maintaining and transfecting a range of mammalian cell lines
- Purifying a variety of soluble and membrane proteins using affinity, size exclusion and ion exchange chromatographic techniques
- Optimizing current antigen production protocols to improve yields and purification results
- Carrying out quality control processes for protein antigens including biophysical analysis
- Maintaining laboratory spaces and equipment to ensure optimal operation
- Documenting, tracking, and analyzing experimental results and generating reports
- Presenting experimental results during team, companywide or partner meetings
- Attending and participating in all relevant meetings
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are excited about being part of a team that prides itself in following a path of innovation, continuous learning, and growth
- You are a self-starter and a fast-learner that works well in a high-pace team-oriented environment
- You are self-motivated and take initiative to identify areas of optimization and follow through by researching, communicating, and implementing solutions
Required qualifications and experience:
- A MSc in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, or a related field, or a BSc with a minimum of 2 years of relevant laboratory experience
- Experience with common techniques in a biochemistry lab including SDS-PAGE, western blotting, FPLC
- Protein purification experience
- Proper tissue culture aseptic techniques
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, including public presentation of experimental results
Bonus points if you have experience with:
- Membrane proteins
- Structural biology (X-ray crystallography, electron-microscopy, NMR, etc.)
- Confocal microscopy
- Flow cytometry
- HPLC, DSF, SEC-MALS, Mass-spec
Offers & benefits:
- The opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
- An attractive compensation package, including health and lifestyle benefits
- A minimum of 3 weeks’ vacation
- Opportunities for personal and professional development
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23014 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.